Thursday, February 23, 2017

First day at Sister Annunciatta's Elder Center in the Bronx!

Tomorrow is my first day at Sister Annunciata Bethell Senior Center. I'm a little nervous because it's my first time teaching a series of classes for the senior population. I've read up a bit, designed a curriculum, and hope that it will be enough to enable me to to do these elders right. 

I have to remember that there will different abilities in the same room... and while its not as diverse as I expected a Bronx neighborhood center to be, there is still a lot of shared history with my own beloved elders. 

Tomorrow I plan to go in lightly, have a conversation, maybe ask them a few questions about their lives. I plan to learn a lot from them.

Since I'm a cartoonist and major nerd, I'm going to try to re-introduce to them some of the animation that we all were raised with. Fleischer's Popeye, Superman and Betty Boop, with little Mighty Mouse thrown in, and the big daddy of old cartoons; Bugs Bunny. I'm only going to ask them to sketch then... just simple character designs in cartoon styles (after a demo, of course). Maybe with a little background history on these cartoons will bring stories and memories of that time period forward. Free-form cartoon animals or heroes will be fun, I hope. Wish me luck. ;)

www.planetbronx.com/sucasa


No comments:

Post a Comment